YIELD: 4 servings
TIME: 20 minutes
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Calories: 108; Fat: 0g
TAGS: omelets, bell peppers, breakfast, healthy
Description: Colorful red and yellow bell peppers add a healthy twist to this breakfast staple.
• 1 teaspoon olive oil
• 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
• 1 large yellow bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
• 4 egg whites
• ½ teaspoon dried basil
• ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper nonstick cooking spray
• 2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a large nonstick pan over medium heat, warm oil; add red and yellow bell peppers and cook, stirring frequently for 4 to 5 minutes. Keep warm over low heat.
2. In a small bowl, lightly whisk together egg whites, basil, and ground black pepper.
3. Coat a small nonstick pan with nonstick cooking spray. Warm over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add half of the egg mixture, swirling the pan to evenly coat the bottom. Cook for 30 seconds or until the eggs are set.
4. Carefully loosen and flip. Cook for 1 minute or until firm.
5. Sprinkle half of the red and yellow bell peppers over the eggs. Fold to enclose the filling. Transfer to a plate. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon Parmesan cheese.
6. Repeat with the remaining egg mixture, peppers, and cheese. Serve hot.